Friday, December 27, 2013

Songwriter's Block, 1 AM

All my songs sound the same, at least all the ones I've been working on recently. They all sound like Panda Bear and Brian Wilson singing hooks to 1 or 2 chords (poppy Sung Tongs?). I like the idea that the songs are acoustic and feel very freewheelin'- but they also just sound like really pretty native chants. Pieces of Animal Collective, Fleet Foxes, Beach Boys.
I feel like I've been writing songs like this for a long time now. Sometimes I feel like a song needs a basic electric guitar riff to go with it, but nothing rough: Think Peter Buck. It's jangle pop. Even some Rubber Soul or Spoon-esque marijuana fuzz bass is needed at times.
Actually, it all just sounds a strange lot like Galaxie 500.
I also feel like these songs could use ambient organ intros/outros like Automatic for the People.
I really wanted to do something even less poppy w/ more full instrumentation. I remember making a blog-post for a project called "Reality." That would have some flute parts, solo trumpet hooks, and a healthy dose of vibraphone. I still like the idea, but it doesn't fit where I'm going right now.
+ I also made up this song yesterday that just sounds like a usual Ben Folds song, only with quiet Doug Martsch guitar fills. Has a catchy "la-la-la" part.
These days I mostly listen to electronica-dance music and Neil Young.
Writing music is such a drag.
"The total effect is 'Let's Go Away For Awhile', which is something everyone in the world must have said at some time or another. Nice thought; most of us don't go away, but it's still a nice thought." -Brian Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment