Monday, April 13, 2015

Learning to Not Entirely Hate Musical Theatre

Hi. My name is Scott. I'm in Utah State's theatre department. And I hate musical theatre.
But not entirely.

OH, THE THEATRICAL MAGIC!

In my time, I've acted in 3 musicals and done backstage work for 2. I grew up with Rogers & Hammerstein on VHS and I've seen a few live musicals in the past few years. Compared to most theatre folks, I have a limited knowledge of modern musicals. And I wouldn't want it any other way.

This week, my University will be performing the Bonnie & Clyde musical. I know nothing about the musical in itself, but I know some historical facts on Bonnie and Clyde and I've seen the first 15 minutes of the 1967 movie. Knowing the performers for this show, I can imagine this being entertaining. However, I have a feeling the music will be underwhelming. I feel this way about most musical written in the last 20 years. Take for example, Disney's Tarzan musical. I might have loved it if it wasn't for the plot-dragging songs with 0 lyrical or innovative value. Who's fault? (see below)


Anyways, my personal experiences with being part of musicals aren't bad at all. They were all fun experiences [yet I was always surrounded by unnecessary cast drama (except for the tight-knit, mature cast of Sondheim on Sondheim)]. My singing voice aint bad and it's constantly changing. I did plenty of acting in my latter teen years. The plays I acted in were all from the classic Broadway era-- Guys & Dolls, Annie Get Your Gun, Kiss Me, Kate. I'd say musicals like these come with a nostalgic aura. As for modern musicals? There is no justification.

I've seen audition sign-ups for musicals where they recommend the audition piece to not be from an overdone play. They list some: Thoroughly Modern Millie, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee... I legitimately don't know any music from either of these musicals. It's sad to live in a world where I have to give a crap.

Wicked sucks.
Cats sucks.
Even the kinda good musicals have super annoying audio recordings.
Rent.
Hairspray.
EVERYTHING SUCKS.

Some people out there may think my hate for musicals is due to being uncultured or having a lack of artistic taste. I dare say it's the opposite. I'm extremely picky about the world of cultural arts. It's not even a matter of not enjoying occasional flamboyance... OK, so maybe it is. But I think that people using their vocal talents to express what's happening in the plot (with an unmemorable melody to boot) is a waste of time and talent. As for the big numbers, they all sound the freaking same. There are some impressive/unique chords peppered about, but that's just all for show. By Act II, you'll be wishing the show had more than one song with jazz elements. You'll also be checking your watch because you know how the plays going to end and the plot is just incessantly dragging (and sucking). The musical outline has been copied and pasted repeatedly for the last 40 years. Because that's how musicals work.

There are some good musicals out there, don't get me wrong. And "Show Business" can be fun. I had fun with Guys & Dolls, although I openly admit- unlike most shows I was in- all my acting techniques were literal crap literally pulled from my literal butt.

(sigh) But in spite of the false sense of community that can come from being in a show, there's also a real sense of community. You can learn a lot from performing. You can see a play and technically consider yourself "cultured." My family and I watched this opera singer perform "Bring Him Home" and I purposely joked around through the whole thing to keep myself from crying. I don't hate musicals entirely. But I hate listening to music from musicals and the majority of modern musicals are terribly written. So... yeah.

You should all see USU perform Bonnie & Clyde this week!

EAT YOUR HEART OUT, IRVING BERLIN


No comments:

Post a Comment