Friday, April 3, 2015

girl complexes VII

Haven't written one of these things since November! I may never have to write another one after this one. This answers any questions that may have arisen from my earlier "girl complexes" posts (which, by the way, combine for an impressive 202 views). This post isn't commentary on sexism or dispelling gender misperceptions. This one's about ME.
Here's everything you need to know about my dating history:

2007-2010
I could probably count how many dates I had on one hand. Never got into a relationship. Served a mission from April 2010- April 2012 where I wasn't allowed to date. This cut no ice with me.
Fall Semester 2012
Went on a lot of dates. Although I must admit, I was going through a rough patch of my life as a recent returned missionary. I recall going on dates weekly and I legitimately can only remember one or two girls' names. I remained single the whole time.
2013
Pretty low key. I had my interests, but rarely acted upon them.
Spring Semester 2014
Went on a lot of dates. Unlike my 2012 dating spree, I sometimes romanticize this semester as The Greatest Days Of My Life. I was only taking 12 credits, I didn't have a real job and I was living off a huge scholarship. I took advantage of my free time. The dating? None of my attempts were successful and I didn't always have fun with it. But the experience as a whole was plenty enjoyable. One of my dates was a double with Ryan Burt & Becca Graham, who are now engaged. I was with them on their first date. Heck yes!
April 2014-Current
Meh.

Anyways, my dating life is uneventful (as you can see above). I usually bust out a "girl complexes" blogpost when I feel a lack of appeal to the dating scene. Instead of analyzing other people's thoughts, I'm talking about mine this time.
Here's everything you need to know about my recent inquiries:

My Life Was A Big Fat Lie
Of course it was. Yours probably was too. What I'm referring to is mindset. People often think they need something when in reality, they don't. For starters: Toddlers. They're so convinced they need a Hershey's Cookies & Cream bar, their world is destroyed when they don't get one. Then high school; every teenager thinks they need some new hot item all the cool kids have. As we grow older, our irrational desires can lead us to self-doubt and social disillusion. My idea of what eros (or "intimate love") should be changes every year, because I'm usually wrong. I am 24 years old and I still want my Hershey's Cookies & Cream!
Never Favorites, Always Lists
I've used this quote before and I use it again: "How we interact with art is a microcosm of the way we interact with the world" --Carl Wilson. I don't literally talk about music very often. Yet I think about it all the time! And I write about it often. I make music lists all the time. I've made lists my entire life. Looking back, I remember listing my favorite songs, countries, cartoons, etc. Does this mean I have lists for people too? Friends? Enemies? Love interests? The answer is no. But every time I ever choose what's #1 on a list, that thing becomes less enjoyable because I glorify it too much. 
I'm talkin' about music. My #1 favorite song. My #1 favorite album. I love it and enjoy doing so until I reach a point of realizing how much I love it. Then I plate it in gold and the listening experience is suddenly never the same. This is my microcosm to my social life. I've never had a best friend. Ever. In my life. I've also never had a girlfriend. In fact, every time I get interested in someone, the feeling just fades into an underwhelming fatigue. Every time. Sure, this is an excuse for being single. But it's a darn good one. 
I Am LDS
I belong to a church that talks about marriage a lot. So I think any of my dating spurts were influenced by some impression of trying to get married- because it's important and crap like that. Don't get me wrong, it is. I wouldn't feel comfortable currently marrying any person I currently know. Man, I did a great job wording that.

I have a lot of other things to say, which probably means I'll write another "girl complexes" in a couple months. As usual, I'm trying to write music in my spare time and I second guess everything I write. So I'm eternally at the drawing board. Asking me what I look for in a girl is like asking me what I look for in a song: I listen to lots of genres; I don't have just one type. And in either circumstance, I hate wasting time with sell-outs.

1 comment: