Sunday, November 2, 2014

The Science Behind Getting Views On Your Blog Posts (maybe?)

I looked through all my blog posts. Here are all the blogs I've written that have received triple-digit views:

girl complexes II (100)
My 2-Year Post-Mission Mark (111)
The 1 Political Statement I Am Going To Make (and i'm going to make it right now) (113)
Wilco: Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (155)
20 Years of Wilco: SONGS (232)
5 REASONS Why You Should See SPAMALOT in Twin Falls This Month! (249)
Josh & Gary getting their music and their message heard (321)*

*from my short-lived journalism blog: "THE CACHE MUSIC SCENE" 

So- why are these posts getting all the views? Why aren't my other posts?
Here are some apparent key ingredients for my blog getting lots of views:

Don't make music lists. Half of my blog posts are lists of albums or songs. Or at least commentary on them. I understand why nobody would give a crap about my personal connection with music and my music tastes. But I love doing it and I probably won't stop doing it.

Write about Wilco. Apparently, this is a real winner for me! Huh... Although I must say, I commented with a blog link on a very popular post on Wilco's facebook page. It immediately got 200+ views.

Use your blog as a facebook comment. Apparently.

Use ALL-CAPS in your title. Apparently.

Write about personal things that people can relate to. Not too many views for my posts about my early days of depression/anxiety. Not too many views on my personal music connections are how I feel about certain pop-cultural topics. Plenty of views between my 3 blog posts where I talk about my mission, politics and girls. Instant win!

Don't write about sports. I love sports, but honestly don't follow it as well as I used to. I've gotten some views on my one college football post, but the rest have, like- 0 views. I'm not too credible. PS: Somehow the NCAA made the playoff even more stupid than the BCS! >: (

Promote local things. My short-lived journalism blog on Logan's local music scene has a surprisingly strong amount of views! My Spamalot promotion and my article on Josh & Gary... this approach actually worked!

No comments:

Post a Comment