Saturday, September 14, 2013

A Few Words On 'In Utero'

Nirvana.
Yeah, I may or may not have heard of them. I may or not have been alive for the last 22 years.
Anyway, in a week or so, the folks at Universal are re-releasing Nirvana's 1993 album In Utero.
I was like, 2 years old when this album was released. And it isn't even Nevermind, the Nirvana album that changed rock 'n' roll forever and all that shtuff. So why do I give a crap?
I freaking love In Utero.
I haven't always been a Nirvana fan. For most of my life, I just thought they were over-rated. And maybe they are... I just love them for different reasons than most folks.
I often wonder if as many people would think Kurt Cobain a legend if he didn't commit suicide. He was a very personal songwriter with pop instincts he fought hard not to use. Some people think him to be a poetic God. To me, he's like the dude I wish I had living in my garage my whole life. (We'd probably get along. I'd probably also help him avoid cocaine abuse.)
Nirvana didn't invent "grunge" music. But they were arguably the best at it. Kurt Cobain isn't worth worshiping. But he's worth your time. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" isn't my pick for the best song of the 90s (ooh, I should list that some day!). But it's pretty darn close.
In Buddhism, the term "Nirvana" is used to define a state of "external reality to pain or care." (Thank you, LDS's Preach My Gospel.) Nirvana was a band true to their name. Total numbness in lyric and music I would like to go into a music history lesson, but I'd rather talk about my personal connections with the album.
I bought In Utero for 99 cents at a Hasting's.
My favorite Nirvana song through-and-through is "All Apologies."
I think the riffs are better on this album than on Nevermind.
Kurt Cobain's mumbling is super legit, to me.
Some of Cobain's influences: Dinosaur Jr, The Pixies, Neil Young, Daniel freaking Johnston.
Steve Albini is a boss on production.
Kris Novoselic is a boss on bass.
Dave Grohl is a boss at life.
"I tried hard to have a father, but instead I had a dad." No personal relation to this. In all honesty, I don't know what it means. But it's sounds nonsensical and I like it.
Consider yourselves cultured. 

No comments:

Post a Comment