Friday, November 30, 2018

The 25 Best Albums Of 2018


Let me just start off by saying this year was a total mess. So this list is a total mess. While I'm hesitant to say anything here counts as true greatness, honestly, I liked a bunch of the stuff I listened to. The bottom half of this list is basically just as good as anything I could honorably mention. Hop Along, boygenius, Kids See Ghosts, JPEGMAFIA, Iceage, serpentwithfeet, Parquet Courts, Kali Uchis, Blood Orange... good job guys. And Robyn easily gets my #26 spot. But I assume nobody gives a hoot, so here's the list.
...(yay!)... 

25 
Louis Cole 
Time





24 
Father John Misty 
God's Favorite Customer



23 
Julia Holter 
Aviary
22 
Anderson .Paak 
Oxnard




21 
CupcakKe 
Ephorize



20 
Mount Eerie 
Now Only

19 
Janelle Monae 
Dirty Computer





18 
Mitski 
Be The Cowboy




17 
Charli XCX 
Pop 2




16 
Hermit and the Recluse 
Orpheus vs. The Sirens









Like I said, this list is a mess. You may be wondering: "Why do you like Charli XCX? Or CupcakKe?" Or perhaps you're wondering: "Who the heck is this shmuck Louis Cole? Or Hermit and the Recluse?" Listen guys, these 10 albums listed above have nearly nothing in common with each other. Except maybe those Janelle Monae and Anderson .Paak albums... Anyways, let's proceed.

15 
Sleep 
The Sciences




14 
Playboi Carti 
Die Lit




13 
Jean Grae x Quelle Chris 
Everything's Fine




12 
Pusha T 
DAYTONA









Well, this is a weird place to stop. Right before the top 11, as opposed to the top 10? Right after listing 1 stoner metal album and 3 rap albums? I just thought I'd note that the rankings of this next set of albums are pretty darn interchangeable. #11 and #4 could switch spots any given day. And all the stuff between is mixed up. And such etc. This is what I get for making this list a little too early.

11 
Car Seat Headrest 
Twin Fantasy



10 
ROSALIA 
El Mal Querer





9 
Earl Sweatshirt 
Some Rap Songs




8 
A.A.L (Against All Logic) 
2012-2017 




7 
U.S. Girls 
In a Poem Unlimited




6 
Yves Tumor 
Safe in the Hands of Love




5 
Noname 
Room 25




4 
Low 
Double Negative









I don't know, man. That Earl Sweatshirt album was released less than a week ago, so my opinion on it could switch at any given time... Nah, actually, it's legit. So is the new Low album, which is an aesthetic I'm not always in the mood for. Most people don't know Against All Logic is a Nicolas Jaar project; one of his best at that. Noname kinda strikes me as the Joni Mitchell of hip-hop. That Car Seat Headrest album was released a few years ago, but the re-release is cool enough to make this list. I could go on forever, but I'll spare y'all some reading.

3 
Beach House 
7




2 
Daughters 
You Won't Get What You Want




1 
SOPHIE 
OIL OF EVERY PEARL'S UN-INSIDES 









So this top 3 couldn't be more divisive. Is that Beach House album too much of a "mainstream indie" thing? Is the Daughters album up here proof that I watch too many The Needle Drop videos? And isn't SOPHIE just... really freaking weird? For the record, all these things are true. But while Beach House's 7 doesn't sound anything like O.G. Beach House, it's a solid collection of songs in its own right. And Daughters provides the relentless post-rock song structures and atmospheric production to create the most cacophonous music I've heard in a while. As for SOPHIE, this thing is genius. She turns impressive recording technique into child's play. This thing provides heavenly ambiance and industrial bangers; sometimes within the same track. If you're willing to enter its world in the first place, it all fits magically. God bless 2018, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment