Wednesday, June 27, 2018

The Beatles' Best Albums (ranked by my facebook friends)

I've been wanting to list my favorite Beatles albums for a while now. But I could never pick a definite #1. So I openly asked my peers via facebook to answer the question for me. I got plenty of responses; definitely enough to keep the list interesting!
Thank you guys for helping me make this list! I conjured up some kinda points system that divvied out how often albums got mentioned, how many were people's indefinite favorites, and even points for comments getting facebook likes. 9 albums were mentioned. And some of them weren't even by The Beatles!
So here we go!

The Beatles' Best Albums
(ranked by my facebook friends)


9 Love .5 pts
So, by all technicality, this album shouldn't count. It's a 2006 compilation of remixed Beatles tracks helm'd by master producer George Martin himself. I've heard it myself, and I gotta admit, it's pretty darn enjoyable + I'm surprised it got brought up.








8 Let It Be 1 pts
Ah, the prototype for the breakup album. I personally like the album cover more than the album itself, but I don't think I'm alone in that. "Two Of Us" is my personal favorite track.









7 Magical Mystery Tour 1.5 pts
This is a tough album to define. Side A is a string of some of The Beatles' most "WTF" psychedelic songs; production-wise as well as lyrically. Side B is kinda unfair, as it is a set of separately-released singles from 1967. All things considered, I freaking love this album. As magically colorful as it presents itself, I can imagine this being a frightening experience on hard drugs.






Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 2 pts
Surprised how low this got ranked! Sgt Pepper is often considered the greatest album of all time. If you heard every Beatles album except for their 1967 releases, I'm sure all of y'all would be asking, "Okay... What the heck happened between this... and this?"








5 Revolver 2 pts
Gotta love Revolver. Sometimes undermined by the fact it was released during the same summer as The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds + Bob Dylan's Blonde On Blonde, this was actually a huge artistic leap for the greatest band of all time. "Eleanor Rigby" + "Tomorrow Never Knows" on the same album? Daaaaaaaang, this thing is loaded.







4 White Album 3 pts
I love White Album because it's a mixbag of crazy tracks with mysterious recording techniques that I personally find extremely creepy + terrifying. To add on to that, look up Charles Manson's conspiracy theories regarding the album. If anything, my favorite 1-2 punch from any Beatles album is on side A here: "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" + "Happiness Is A Warm Gun."






3 Rubber Soul 4 pts
Rubber Soul is often considered the first "album-conscience" album ever made (and by that, I mean a stoned Brain Wilson said that in 1965, and that's a pretty sound opinion to go off of). But yeah, can you name an album made by anyone from before 1965 that's better than Rubber Soul? At least nothing with songwriting chops like "In My Life."






2 In Utero 4.5 pts
It deserves to be clarified that this is a 1993 album by Nirvana. This comment, made by my high school buddy who introduced me to The Buzzcocks + Flogging Molly, was surprisingly popular. Since I myself cannot decide on a favorite Beatles album, I myself voted for this. And I freaking love In Utero! The best Nirvana album + arguably the best Beatles album as well! Apparently...






1 Abbey Road 4.5 pts
I always cite Abbey Road as the reason why snobby critics like myself put the word "rock" in quotation marks. This is the prototype for every "rock" album ever. The biggest band in the world gives each individual instrument special treatment with detailed fills + solos meant to be memorized. At its softest and its loudest, Abbey Road is an accessible symphony that covers all the "rock" bases.

No comments:

Post a Comment