Sunday, June 10, 2018

my favo albums of 2018 thus far

Hey, I usually list my favorite albums halfway through the year, and that's what this is.
There are 16 albums here. Gonna try to give this an "unofficial" vibe because I think I still have some catching up to do. And even though I have them ranked, my opinion could change on any of these albums. And it's not like everything here will make my year-end list.
But yeah, I like these. And there was some other stuff I liked too. But I probably prefer these.
Playlist at the bottom.
So yeah, let's crank this out.

my favo albums of 2018 thus far













16 CupcakKe x Ephorize
Not for the faint of heart.
15 Kali Uchis x Isolation
Some fresh pop music with Columbian roots.
14 Parquet Courts x Wide Awake!
I guess it's "just a Parquet Courts album," but perhaps their most experimental + conceptual.
13 Iceage x Beyondless
A fun grab-bag of solid rock songs from my favorite Denmark band.
12 Father John Misty x God's Favorite Customer
Some Elton John ballads about self-loathing in relationships.
11 Mount Eerie x Now Only
Mountain man Phil Elverum continues his stages of grief with vivid detail + storytelling.
10 Janelle Monae x Dirty Computer
Some fun, futuristic, Prince-esque pop.
9 Charli XCX x Pop 2
Charli XCX's stint with PC Music reaches its peak in sound + songwriting.
8 Sleep x The Sciences
If you don't know what "stoner metal" is, any Sleep album is a good place to start.
7 Playboi Carti x Die Lit
A snapshot of where rap is today (for better or for worse).
6 Jean Grae & Quelle Chris x Everything's Fine
Some coked-up 70's jazz instrumentals + equally philosophical/hilarious lyrics from weirdo-rap's sweetest married couple.
5 Pusha T x DAYTONA
20 minutes of solid ghetto rap produced by Kanye West [which was eventually followed by the most insane diss trake of all time, "The Story Of Adidon" (R.I.P Drake btw)].
4 Car Seat Headrest x Twin Fantasy
The Strokes: The Musical!
3 U.S. Girls x In A Poem Unlimited
With lyrics smart enough to go way over my head, backed by some lo-fi production and primitive funk beats, Meghan Remy is totally ahead of the game.
2 Beach House x 7
It's like a collage every dream pop band ever, except for Beach House.
1 A.A.L. (Against All Logic) x 2012 - 2017
So, Nicolas Jaar made an album where he messes with a bunch of 70's funk samples, and I'm still not sure whether it's just some project to shrug off or if it's genius.



No comments:

Post a Comment