Sunday, April 23, 2017

This Is The Last Blogpost For 'Can't Write If You Can't Relate'


It's time to say goodbye to Can't Write If You Can't Relate.

IT'S BEEN REAL
Play some cheesy music you can cry (or laugh) to in the background as you read this:

I've been writing randomly assorted garbage on this blog for just a little under 5 years. 
Established in August 2012, we've seen some good times. 
This will be the 146th preserved post on this blog. Sounds like a lot, yet as I type this, this blog has 202 unfinished (and some formerly published) drafts.
The title of this blog comes from the 1994 hit "Loser" by Beck. In any writing circumstance, this is true. Poet Allen Ginsberg has advised to "Say only what we know and imagine." Anybody who's ever written a college paper can tell you it's hard to write about stuff you don't care about. This blog has been a safe-haven for me to write about stuff I've always assumed nobody cares about but me. Thank you for reading.

WHY I'M ENDING IT
Part of me wanted to make a list of The Greatest Blog Posts From The 'Can't Write If You Can't Relate' Blog Of All Time! But I just need to let it die.
Why am I ending this blog page? Not only does it lack public interest, it ultimately lacks direction.
See, sometimes my blogging habits are healthy in a stress-relieving way. Sometimes they are entertaining and I hear a lot of great feedback from you guys. Sometimes the depth of my writing is unhealthy; whether it's T.M.I stories about mental health or overloaded commentary on trivial matters. All in all, it's been a good ride. I've picked up a surprisingly steady fan-base. Now it's time for something different. Something professional, or perhaps even nothing at all.

MY FUTURE
I've never really known if I'm a great writer or not. Lots of people have told me over the years-- mostly friends popping out of the woodwork to compliment some blog I wrote-- and yet I have a hard time believing it. I don't feel like I've been wasting my time. Although I do think I could cut it down, and definitely give my writing some more focus.
If I apply for media jobs, do they really care about my high school stories and slew of music lists? Actually, maybe. But I believe they need to live in separate worlds. If I want a media job in the music industry, showing employers this blog may leave them confused/unimpressed. Also, I think I have a strange talent for writing comical stories-- taking something totally unimportant and turning into a faux-big-deal. If I continue blogging, I'll definitely continue with that and even try to improve on it.
I'm considering starting a more professional-looking blog on a different website, perhaps linking in with the blogosphere seeking as many followers as possible. I think it's worth a shot considering how much success I've gained thus far with my relatively "guerrilla-blogger" approach.
I guess I just do this for fun. If this is true, I need to cut my time spent doing it. Or perhaps this is a real talent and I'm ready for the major leagues. I'm pretty divided. We shall see.

LEGACY, ETC.
Anyways... it's been real. I'll say it again: Thank you for reading. Nobody should have to give a crap about this stuff, but you people click on it anyway.
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who considers this the end of an era. That's okay.
I was gonna put a bunch of nostalgic-sentiment-triggering pictures here, but that stuff takes too long. The time has come to kill the beast.
Can't Write If You Can't Relate.
R.I.P!

No comments:

Post a Comment