Wednesday, October 28, 2015

My Halloween Playlist

Happy Halloween. I guess.
Halloween is arguably my least favorite holiday. I love the time of season it comes with, but fact is, it's a fake holiday. Just like Valentine's Day. You try to celebrate it. Fit the cliches. Do your traditions. Yous till have to go to work that day.
So here are some Halloween-themed songs to play on this day of homemade spookiness.


+The Misfits Night of the Living Dead 
Hard to pick which Misfits song to add. All their songs relate to science fiction or stuff from horror flicks. They even have a song called "Halloween." This band is the one good thing the holiday has to offer.
+Sonic Youth Halloween 
As far as Sonic Youth songs go, this song's kinda a dime-a-dozen. The guitars are hypnotic, it musically sounds like a dream, Kim is giving spoken-word prose poetry about schizophrenia or sex or whatever. I like it.
+The Microphones Headless Horseman
He says stuff about nature and animals and having a flaming pumpkin head. I think it's supposed to be a sad song.
+Michael Jackson Thriller
I'm mad at myself for putting this on here.
+Warren Zevon Werewolves of London
At the end of the day, this Warren Zevon song isn't his scariest. I only know a couple other songs by him. One's called "Excitable Boy," where he talks a man who grows up to a rapist murderer. But this song is about werewolves and it's fun to singalong to.
+Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds Stagger Lee
Nick Cave has written tons of scary songs (my personal fave "The Carny"), which eventually lead to an album called "Murder Ballads," literally true to its title. "Stagger Lee" has a lot (a lot) of swearing in it, and the noise that comes 3 minutes in scares me. So even though Cave has been louder before, I don't think he's been so straightforwardly violent. It's discomforting.
+Edgar Winter Group Frankenstein
No lyrics required. What looks scarier than Frankenstein? Edgar Winter.
...He's an albino.... and he had 70s rocker hair... They Only Come Out at Night...
Okay, I'm a terrible person.
+Slint Nosferatu Man
Did you know he quotes Hank Williams in this song? Also, do you know what time signature it's in?
+David Bowie Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)
This song isn't scary. I mean, the term "super creep" is in the title. That rhymes with "Super Freak." The song sounds more like that. But David Bowie has the tendency to look scary at times.
+Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti Fright Night
This song, like all Ariel Pink songs, is scary because it sounds like a late-nite acid trip. I see myself cruising down a boulevard at 2am past neon lights drawn by the animators of Duck Tales. Now that's a Halloween story if I've ever heard one!

No comments:

Post a Comment