Wednesday, May 13, 2015

The Redfish Trilogy

Tomorrow I will be moving to Stanley, ID for the summer to work at Redfish Lake Lodge.
I worked there in 2009.
I worked there in 2012.
I will be working there in 2015.
Apparently I wind up at Redfish every 3 years. Each time for a different reason. And it's a different story every time. As I've done some recent packing, my room suddenly smells like pine and my window is getting fogged with mountain mist. I'm excited for my 3rd ride at Redfish Lake. Perhaps it will be my last.
I feel like the 3-year gaps work as chapter headings for my life. As for now, we're calling this experience:

The Redfish Trilogy

2009
I just graduated high school a week before I started work as a dishwasher. I had never been before and didn't know what to expect. I was super quiet for the first 3 weeks. I started progressively making friends and it was easily one of the most fun summers of my life. I hiked on my days off. I was young. I saw a baby bear once. (frightening) I stood on this rope swing that takes you +/- 30 ft in the air. (also frightening) I remember burning CDs from crazy kitchen workers Dylan (Animal Collective + Leonard Cohen) and Tony (Sufjan Stevens). I began to love my job, which is funny, because most people hate dishwashing. The experience was refreshing and hard to forget. I have fond memories of the people I befriended that summer.
Myself, Enjoying The Beloved Stanley Rope Swing (R.I.P)

2012
I got back from my LDS mission in April 2012. I don't remember having much fun. 
Let me explain: I was going through a rough time. Stress issues; clinical issues. I really tried hard to feel the same things I felt 3 years prior. Summer of 2012, I learned to never do this. I couldn't connect the way I used to. I felt (and probably was) socially awkward. I was at Redfish, so of course I did plenty of fun things, but what I remember most was that I was going through a rough time. 
Baron Divide

2015
I've lived in Logan, UT for nearly 3 years since the last time I worked at Redfish. I've learned a lot. After this summer, I will have spent more summers than in Jerome, Logan or British Columbia. I plan on getting jobs that reflect my stage management major in the future. I feel like I need the Redfish experience... ONE. MORE. TIME. (at least)

You see, I'm a different guy now. Not only different from 2012, but different from 2009. I should not glorify nor debase any era of my past. I learn something new about myself every day. I have 0 expectations for Redfish 2015, but this time, I'm coming there to serve. I've learned (quite recently) to not come into things with any dose of ungratefulness. I ought to be happy where I am. Wherever I am. 
If anything, I plan on making this the most positive summer of my life.
Logan Turns Boys Into Men

No comments:

Post a Comment