Tuesday, April 27, 2021

150 Favorite/Best 2000's Albums: 11 Honorable Mentions



✱ Broadcast The Noise Made By People 
I totally spaced this band. I was really into them a few years ago. This is my personal favorite album of theirs. It might have made the tail-end of the list. 
--2000



✱ Jim O'Rourke Insignificance 
I am a moron. I've listened to much of Jim O'Rourke's work before. A couple solo albums; his work with Smog, Wilco, Sonic Youth. But I only recently tried his most acclaimed album. No surprise, this is right up my alley. Probably top 100 material. One of those classic singer-songwriter albums from Drag City records. 
--2001

✱ Super Furry Animals Rings Around The World 
Super Furry Animals are a crazy band. I wish I knew more about their discography. They made a name for themselves in the 90s making boisterous and colorful experimental pop. This is the band at their peak.
--2001

✱ Sigur Ròs ( ) 
A great album I forgot about when making this list. I don't feel THAT bad about leaving it off, but I definitely should have given it a shout-out in my "introduction" post.
--2002

✱ Prefuse 73 One Word Extinguisher 
I'd recommend Prefuse 73 to any electronic music fan. Both parts IDM and instrumental hip-hop. His run at the beginning of the decade is easy to understand.
--2003


✱ The Decemberists Picaresque 
I actually have a secret list of popular 2000s indie bands I don't really like that much. This album is the best work from those bands. 
--2005



✱ Andrew Bird Andrew Bird & The Mysterious Production Of Eggs 
This album was super close to making the list. Definitely a must-listen if you're going through a 2000s indie folk phase.
--2005


✱ Deerhoof The Runners Four 
Just felt the need to shout-out Deerhoof. One of the best, most consistently solid bands of the decade. This is my personal favorite album of theirs. 
--2005

✱ Cut Copy In Ghost Colours 
These next 2 albums go together. A couple dance albums co-produced by DFA's Tim Goldsworthy in 2008. Just wasn't sure where to put them on the list. But these 2 albums can go toe-to-toe with any release from Hot Chip.
--2008

✱ Hercules & Love Affair Hercules And Love Affair 
While that Cut Copy album had a youthful character with some bold dancefloor bangers, Hercules & Love Affair had much more soulful vocals, and the whole thing tastes like classic New York disco. 
--2008

✱ The xx xx 
I think this album's overrated. I can name at least 15 albums from 2009 off the top of my head I enjoy more than this. So why even mention it? Because it really was THAT influential. For a few years there, every new band wanted to be The xx.
--2009

No comments:

Post a Comment