Tuesday, January 26, 2016

The Wasatch Fault: SLC's Best Band


I first heard of The Wasatch Fault from a facebook group called the Loganscene back in 2013. I was in a journalism class with a writing emphasis on local music. Turns out only the drummer was in Logan, the rest of the band is in SLC. I listened to some tracks and I was a fan. I got the chance to buy the album last summer. Was this just a kind gesture to support local music? NO. I legitimately love this band, on any level.

I have a bias towards 90s lo-fi bands. The sound changed my life. I cannot forget listening to Pandora's Pavement station when I was a senior in high school. I learned more about bands I already loved and was introduced to bands I would greatly approve. To me, hearing stuff from Pavement was like hearing my own voice and my own guitar. Superchunk, Sebadoh, Built to Spill as well. I had been a music guy leading up to that point and I felt like I had now found my music. Just for me.

In Jerome, ID, it literally was my music and nobody else. The Wasatch Fault is comforting to me. A band with similar influences, making original music-- and one of these guys lives 2 miles away from me. This band is what I wanted college to sound like.
Pavement is infamously a "low budget' band, although they worked on more money than I personally have. The Wasatch Fault covers the space between my reality and my teenage dream of becoming Steve Malkmus.
The band unity and musical culmination of The Wasatch Fault reminds me of my teenage comrade re with guys in my high school theatre program: Abrasive and full of joy. The bass lines and drum fills are well-articulated and memorable. The guitar tones are reminiscent of 90s Modest Mouse or Built to Spill. And I will rarely admit this about local groups, but their lead singer's voice is easily identifiable; his screams actually come off as natural. The production as a whole is sweet and tattered.

This music isn't ripping off anybody. It's a noticeable collective of influences, for sure, but it adds to something unique. And their sole album, (The Wasatch Fault) is totally cohesive.


MY FAVORITE TRACKS
I legitimately listen to these songs regularly; pretty much any time I went for a hike this summer.

"Why Would You Want To Be Anything, When You Could Be Everything?"
 At first, one might think this is going to be some awkward reggae cover of MBV's "To Here Knows When," but it turns into something totally different. Probably the album's most adventurous track; constantly shifting.
"Baker's Chocolate"
This song is possibly the closest thing the album has to a "single." And lyrically interesting-- apparently about some bizarre, 1-man cult youtuber David Charles Baker and not about Jesus.
"We Live In The Sky"
GREAT RIFF
MY OTHER FAVORITES
"Dopamine"
I LOVE the guitar/drum syncopation on this track!
"Monster Falcon"
The least weird lyrics on the album... I think every lo-fi album should consist one track like this.
"Reality Is a Construct (Built from Legos)"
I hear more of a DC post-punk influence on this one.
"Eternity Pill"
There's a guitar tone mid-way through this song I'm pretty sure I've never heard before.

So their new album (Super Wasatch Fault) should be coming out in a month or so, and I'm stoked! I had the pleasure of watching one of their rehearsal recordings with drummer Aaron McCuiston last year. The next album should have 8 songs, all between 4 and 11 minutes in length; I predict some influence something along the lines of Perfect from Now On. Listen to their first album below!

No comments:

Post a Comment