Friday, January 30, 2015

Suck Less: Encouraging Quotes from My High School Drama Teacher

I have recently rediscovered a comfortable place in the theatre department. I can't help but think about my early theatre days.
My high school drama teacher/director was a true genius. He lifted Jerome High School's theatre program from the ground up. And by "the ground," I mean a 6 ft pit in the ground. He now teaches at College of Southern Idaho. He was one of my mentors in my teen years and basically introduced me to drama. He complimented me a few times. But these quotes are different. Most of these quotes listed below were directed at me. But in his defense, I had it coming each time. I believe he's said worse things to other people. But these are the ones I witnessed. In alphabetical order!

"Act!"
His response to people not acting.
"Every time you wear that shirt, it looks like you have techno boobs."
In nregards to my "2 turntables and a microphone" Beck t-shirt.
"God Scott, wasn't that a little racist?"
I know what I said. And it was.
"Hey Christian music: Get some talent!"
Upon changing stations in the car.
"I wish I was a football coach so I could swear at you."
To the whole team.
"Ladies and gentlemen, Scott Hall has to pee!"
Announced to the Kiss Me Kate cast.
"Nobody's gonna buy that."
After I performed a 1-miniute audition piece; my directly Bible-quoted, 1-man acting adaptation of Mary being toldshe would give birth the Jesus.
"Scott, this cost me over 100 dollars..."
I turned in my Kiss Me Kate script 6 months late. Brown said this to me and I just crept away. 
"Scott, Vince's has only been my T.A. for a week and he's accomplished 10 times more than you ever did all last semester."
He was right.  
"Scott... wow..."
Senior year, in the van on the way to Boise. I said the most inappropriate joke in the world right in front of him and a van full people, innocent girls included.
"Scott, you can't just go and start painting without being told what to do! Now we have to do this whole thing different."
Painting the Greater Tuna set; a bright green stripe across a black flat.
"SHUUUUUT! UUUUUP!!!!"
This was backstage of It's A Wonderful Life. Directed to everyone. We all remember. 
"So you're not contributing to society in any way at all?"
I was 19, waiting for mission papers. No job. No school.
"Somebody PLEASE stop this. NOW."
Me, Wyatt and Brian did an improv piece... it was a commercial for a gay cruise...
"Suck less!"
Acting advice... So many times....
"Thank you, Scott, for knowing all of the words to that song and not helping us out AT ALL."
One day, I rapped to Beck's "Loser" and "Where It's At" while everybody else actually built a set for It's A Wonderful Life.
"That was dumb. That was just stupid."
Me, Wyatt and a few others did a prop-centered piece put together in 20 minutes. We passed a Christmas present around to each other and told made-up stories of family members dying on Christmas. I could tell he was talking to me when he said this.
"...This is so gay..."
Mr. Brown is my hero. He taught me and all my fellow classmates to never say "gay" or "retarded" in a derogatory manner. He never said it. I was 18 on opening night for the human-rights classic Laramie Project, the cast put together some money to buy him a classic director's chair. When he saw it, he sat down and was trying not to cry. This suddenly turned into a mischievous snicker and saying this. To me, it was the least expected, funniest thing in the world.
"Those assholes!"(starts running)
Me, Brown, Luke, Jeff Horgan, Wyatt and Brian were walking the streets of Coeur d'Alene after state drama. Heading straight to Arby's. As we walked, 2 school buses had parked in the Arby's parking lot. We all ran very fast that night.
"What are you doing up here? Get out!"
Multiple times, in the tech booth, to everybody. "What is this recycled garbage???"
He walked into his room while some girls had cranked up Kely Clarkson's "My Life Would Suck Without You."  
"Yeah I'm worried about you. I never know what's gonna come out of your mouth."
Referring to me singing an improv song about him for the Kiss Me Kate audition and me yelling "Kiss her, dammit!" at a It's A Wonderful Life rehearsal. 
"You guys better get your shit together."
I'm sure he's said this multiple times. But I definitely remember him saying this to me, Wyatt and Brian the week before Complete Works of Shakespeare and we weren't memorized. 
"You guys suck out there. It's not even funny. It's like you're not even trying."
Talking to Vince & I during lunch after seeing us host Tigermania.  
"You lazy bastard."
Referring to Wyatt not getting his driver's license.  
"You're doing okay, Scott. I still haven't had to give you a 'come-to-Jesus' meeting."
And I never did, thank goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment