Friday, May 9, 2014

HEY MOM

I like when you make food for people who've been trying to avoid you all day
I like when you're overly concerned about my paycheck and my mental health
 Actually, that second line was a joke
  I'm sorry that I'v been a total jerk to you over the phone lately
  I'm sorry to hear about your knee
   You're the only other one in the family who knows what it's like to be single at 23
   You're the only other one who gets bad vibes from people and politicians when I do
I like the stuff you told me about God when I was little
I like the stuff you say about God now
 Actually, we need to talk about that more
  I'm sorry that I never visit home much
  I'm sorry that I complained my guitar not having a strap
   You're the only one who I think would like the live Mo-Tab album with James Taylor
   You're the only one that I'd want to be my mom
I like that you don't treat your kids like trophies
I like that you're a realist
 Actually, that explains why I'm a realist, myself
  I'm sorry that my inner-punk wants me to hitch-hike across the country
  I'm sorry that your job stinks sometimes
   Sometimes I think about you
   I usually don't
   Somehow, I never forget you

No comments:

Post a Comment