Friday, April 25, 2014

My Personal Guitar Influences

Some of my favorite guitarists, namely when it comes to my style of playing.

NEIL YOUNG. I love everything about Neil's guitar playing. I love his approaches to country, folk, jam and even grunge. I play "Tell Me Why" more than any other song.

GEORGE HARRISON. This may be because I'm a guitarist, but George is my hands-down my favorite Beatle. His riffs were sometimes choppy, sometimes heavy, sometimes hazy, always memorable.

PETER BUCK. I feel like Buck invented the "alternative rock" guitar sound. Jangly, choppy, shiny.

J MASCIS. Life. Is all about shredding.

 DOUG MARTSCH. I remember easily being a fan of Built to Spill stuff that always played in the Redfish Lake Lodge Restaurant kitchen. Then I heard Perfect From Now On and it actually challenged me. I love Doug's guitar effects and the daring registers he often hits.

THURSTON MOORE. I always always always think about noise rock. More often than not, I think about distorted guitar noises before actual notes. Meanwhile, I like playing with obscure tunings, too.

JIMMY PAGE. Music I make doesn't really sound like Led Zeppelin. I don't like to show off fat, epic solos. But I always love a simple, powerful riff and some lush acoustic chords.

No comments:

Post a Comment